Burn Registry Special Interest Group Meeting ~ March 9, 2010
Attendees: 10 attendees, 1 chair, 1 ABA representative, 0 DI representative
o Discussed need for updates ASAP. The updates are released 10/1 annually and the users do not receive the updates from DI for many months. Majority of users are unable to update retrospectively; therefore the data dump to the NBR may be erroneous. Many wanted to know what the procedure was between the ABA and DI and the reason for the lateness.
o Discussed the need for DI to fix these data fields so the reports will pull properly – currently unable to separate multiple ICD-9, DRG and E-Codes entries in data field.
o Many users are frustrated with the software and the length of time updates have taken. Many positive comments for the customer service received from Josh Buynak.
o Discussed conversion problems.
o Very few users are happy with the current program.
o Discussed the removal of the outpatient module and how this has caused more problems for the users. Users questioned this decision as the users were not polled. Some users have been told DI will create for a fee and others have been told no. Need a consistent answer.
o Introduced Maureen Kiley and her role with the Burn Registry Users within the ABA .
o Discussed the need for NBR committee involvement. Users are feeling frustrated when asking questions of DI and the answer is ‘this is what the ABA wanted….or this is what the ABA said the users wanted’. Users are not being polled and want to know who are making these decisions as the true users are not being polled?
o Benchmarking report is only sent to the director of the Burn Program and is full of errors. Users would like to know how this is being fixed.
o Discussed the ABA web page with the introduction of “tracbooks” and the need for more user involvement and discussion treads on the Burn Registry. Users asked for a way to change their profile so they are notified when a new item is posted. Maureen will ask the ABA IT person for assistance with this request.
o Verification – what is pulled for complications? All or just what is discussed at M&M? No definitive answer on this.
o Most users abstract each record using the chart, not the coding sheet. The coders are coding for money and the registrars are coding for injury. The problem with this mentality is then the NBR data is not consistent with the Medicaid data received by Capitol Hill to support various bills, grants, funding, etc. Users would like direction from ABA for consistency.
o Users would like to know which definitions the ABA would like followed for consistent data. i.e. Pneumonia – CDC, ACS, etc.? Discussed the need to have burn separated out from trauma to have their own definitions, etc. for consistency. Some centers duplicate entries in Burn and Trauma due to state reportables.
o Users asked that the minutes from the SIG be shared with members of the ABA (Susan Browning, Maureen Kiley, John Krichbaum, Dr. Matthew Klein, Dr. Palmer Bessey, Dr. Richard Kagan), members of DI (Julie Violante, John Kutcher), and copy all SIG attendees and post on tracbooks.
o The overall consensus from the meeting was frustration due to lack of communication, inconsistent answers, lack of follow through and true users not being polled for decision making.